Main Tabs

3.1.13

Pierre Dorion MACM

Why I leave certain things to the last minute is beyond me.
I just squeezed in a visit to the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal to catch the current exhibits which end in a mere three days!  One of the shows on view featured a look at about twenty years of  the works by Pierre Dorion, a Montreal based painter.  At first glance the paintings are realistic-based on photographs.  Upon closer look (particularly at Dorion's minimalist works), they become abstractions, perfectly ruled and masked lines that don't represent the nicks, bumps and grooves of the "real world".  

 I had was a strange feeling of familiarity when I viewed Dorion's Untitled, 1999 (above left, from here) and I said to myself- "Hey! That's my bed!" (above right, from this morning.)

Well, of course it wasn't my bed- it was but a mere coincidence.  Dorion's unmade bed was featured in an important 1999 painting installation called Chambres avec vue, where site-specific canvases took their places in an empty apartment.  Intrigued? Want to know more?  Take a look at the macm's press release or the 1999 feature in Parachute magazine.